Pages

Monday, February 13, 2012

Family Meals. Student's Budget

Every time I make an inexpensive meal for dinner, I think, "I should post this on my blog. I'm not really doing anything on my blog, anyway. It will give it substance."

Well. I'm finally doing it tonight. I'm going to add some of the meals I have made this past week for our family of four (that eats like a family of seven).

1. Chicken Noodles

2 boxes of Chicken Pasta Roni ($1 each), a cubed chicken breast (we buy the frozen chicken breasts. It's like $7 a bag making 1 chicken breast = $1.17). I cook those together and then heat up a can of corn (My kids LOVE corn. It's about $1 a can, depending on where we buy it)

So that made tonights meal a whopping $4.17 for 6 servings.

2. Food Storage Chili

We thrive off of our food storage. We build it up in the summer when we are making more money, and eat from it all year long.

1 Can Tomato Sauce ($.89), 1 can corn ($1), I can of black beans ($1), 1 can of Kidney Beans ($1), 1lb of Hamburger ($3.49), 1 TBS Chili powder, 1 Onion ($.79).

Brown the meat, mix it all together in a pot, let it lightly simmer for 30 minutes. $8.17 for 6 servings.

3. Sloppy Joes

1 lb Hamburger ($3.49), 1/4 small onion, chopped ($.20) 1 cup Ketchup ($.50), 3 TBS Brown Sugar (hardly enough to count), 1 tsp yellow mustard, 1 tsp garlic salt, 8 hamburger buns ($1.50)

About $5.85 for 8 servings.

1 comments:

kelsey said...

Yum! I make a similar chili, but I do mine in the crock pot! I love cheap meals! :) post more!

Post a Comment